Monday, December 10, 2012

Gallery Pt. 2

At the critique, we displayed all of our web galleries on the tv at the front of the room and individually discussed our processes. Changing the color of the images was the predominant manipulation, but nearly everybody had different colors, which made for a nice variety. 

One of the different manipulations that I liked was Hallie's. She started off of her own image, cropping it so just her necklace was being used. She then processed it further, also using the "posterize" tool that I used. When she applied the action as a batch process, it cropped each image to the same dimensions and location of her necklace crop. This had a cool effect, as it abstracted almost every image. Only a few images were identifiable was what they originally were, such as mine, as my nose stud was in the frame. While I'm happy not having cropped my images, this made me think that doing something like rotating them all might have been a good decision, as it would have shifted focus from each image as a portrait to the gallery as a whole.

As I was presenting my gallery, I realized that my particular manipulation made everybody look cold or sickly, as there was such a cool blue tone to every image. The purpose of this assignment was not to make everybody look good, though, so that was not really a problem, just an observation.

I can definitely see the advantages of knowing how to create an action and apply it as a batch process, especially when considering photography. If all images from a shoot come out too cool or there is too much background in the frame, it would be much easier to change them all at once than to go through each image individually. While this project was fun to do, I feel like I learned a useful trick out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment