I never thought that this website would take me as long as it did. My final (for now) product currently consists of thirty pages, each of which has multiple links on it.
I started this website by making the table for my index.html page, as I knew this would determine the layout for the rest of my site. Once I had the first two rows done, I moved to Illustrator and made my graphics, which also serve as buttons. When on any page but index.html, my header takes you back home. For my primary categories, I chose "digital," "studio," "photography," and "contact."
Digital contains subcategories, which are "cyberspace architecture," "self portrait i/ii," and "advertisement i/ii." Cyberspace architecture is empty because my flash drive corrupted the day that project was due, and it got deleted off of my classmate's external hard drive before I could retrieve a copy of it. The other categories contain my assignments.
Studio is currently empty, as I do not have high enough quality images of my studio work from this year. Photography is it's own category for two reasons; first of all, I had a lot of photographs to include, and secondly, I'm a photography minor, so I felt it made sense for it to stand alone. Photography was split into two categories - nude and other - because nude photography is not necessarily always appropriate to view, so I wanted it separate. Other contains everything else.
I chose not to include an image on my contact page, simply because I did not have one that I wanted to use. This page does have a short biography, as well as a link to my flickr, which contains old work. At the top of the page is my email address, but I wrote out the punctuation to avoid getting spam, as that is an email I use regularly.
One problem that I ran into immediately after making my site live came from capitalization. There were two photographs that I had capitalized on their pages, but I typed the links in lower case. This was easily rectified by renaming the pages to make the lowercase links, once I figured out what the problem was. My only other big problem came from my inability to do math. There were several times when I had to divide 500 (the height of my main cell) by 6 or 14 or some other strange number, which never came out to be a pretty number, but I somehow managed to make that work too.
In terms of my color palette and layout, I went simple and symmetrical, just like I did with my work during the rest of the semester. I have a tendency of always using blue in my projects, so I embraced this and made my buttons blue. I kept the background white so it looks clean, and used black text to make it easily readable. My only complaint is that I don't know how to make the entire website center itself in a browser, which I would like.
If I tried to make a website again, I feel like I would have a much easier time of it, having had the experience of making this one. By the time it came to coding my "other" photography pages, I had figured out that it was much faster to copy and paste code and then change small things, rather than retyping the same things over and over again, which made the end of this process much faster.
No comments:
Post a Comment