It seemed like almost everybody in our class chose to use circles for their self portraits. To be entirely honest though, I can't blame them. Any shapes with straight edges need to line up with each other perfectly, whereas the circles can be spaced however the artist wants and still look good.
Something that really stood out to me was when Angthony said that he didn't have awesome hair to portray, so he had to do his hat to fill space. While I was really impressed by the level of detail he put into the logo on his hat, this made me think. If I had not been able to use my hair to portray myself, I'm not really sure what I would have done. I'm not good at drawing faces, so I think I would have struggled a lot more.
The question of whether or not including something like a hat counted as self portraiture was brought up. My feeling on that matter is that if it is something recognizable about you, something that you wear or have with you every day, then it should count, because it is part of your personality. There is more to me than my hair, obviously, but part of the reason I felt so comfortable emphasizing it so heavily in my portraits is because I feel it also serves as a good descriptor of my personality.
I'm happy with the way my portraits turned out, and would not change them, but I did get some interesting ideas from this critique. Michelle used hexagons in one of her portraits, and to do her hair with these hexagons, she did it by clump instead of by strand, with each clump being a different shade of blue. I think the strand method worked for my hair because it is so curly and wild, but Michelle took an approach that I barely even considered, which made for an interesting consideration.
No comments:
Post a Comment